Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunday, Bus-sy Sunday

I think I wrote about yesterday, so here it is for today.

I spent it on a bus.

I awoke this morning to the fire alarm going off and the sounds of sirens in the street. This time it woke me up, as opposed to the other day when I was just getting out of the shower.
Now, I woke up and grabbed my coat (which was a good move, leaving behind the bag with wallet and passport... bad move). My coat has attached to it my scarf and in the pockets are my gloves, beanie and camera.

So, if the place was on fire and I lost everything, I'd still have my camera full of wonderfully strange photos.

Ok, so I've grabbed my coat, my room was empty so I could not ask my neighbours what was happening, so I headed to the hallway. No one knew the haps, so we took the stairs down to the lobby and wear hearded outside. Thankfully not snowing, but it was raining. See, now this is the part where having my coat was fricken awesome. Others weren't so lucky. I saw a dude without shoes on and many people just in PJs. It was not funny. Out in the snow for two hours! TWO HOURS!
That's a long time.

Eventually they got a bus and hearded us on there, to keep warm you see. The buses have heaters and well, not covered in snow. It was win-win!
I made some friends on the bus. They were very entertaining.

I also made a video diary of the day. Thus far I've only watched the last part which is hilarious at least to me, others may just shake their heads in disguist.

The day was excellent for my budget! So yay for that!

We started a pool to see what time we were allowed in. I guess 6.30pm and we got in at 6pm, making me the closest and I won the pool! Of course it is just for bragging rights, but I'll take what I can get.

We got back to the hostel at 6pm, we left at 10am. That is 8 hours! 8 HOURS!
Though, we got food and Hot Chocolate and everyone was in good spirits so it could have been much worse.

There were many fire trucks and cops and ambos. All very dramatic.
The news folk came out as well, I got interviewed by NBC and a New York Post reporter. I think I disappointed the NBC Cameraman by not saying I was scarred by the entire event. I think I just said I was frustrated by not having been told anything.
I had just picked up some stuff on the streets.

So the official story.
There was a fire under the street and the smoke and everything got into the hostel and the Carbon Monoxide levels were way too high for people to still be there and not die. So they had to clear out the carbon monoxide so when we did come back in it was really cold from all the open windows and what not.

Though, some people had to be woken up by the fireman knocking on their doors and well, actually going into their rooms.
It was just the alarm that woke me, so no fireman story for me.
Other than seeing lots of them.

Everything nice and dramatic.
No one is hurt and I still have lots of time to see stuff.
I'll check out the NY Post tomorrow see if I'm in it.
That will be exciting!

Tomorrow will hopefully be adventures of my creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment