Sunday, December 7, 2008

Day 3 in this hell hole

Hi Kids!

I'm back in front of a computer killing time, I also wanted to write today because I'm not sure when I'll next get computer access.

So, two action packed days! Man, what to say?
Mainly, it's cold. Very cold. Last night it snowed. I was very excited. I had got off the train and then snow was falling and I'm like "It's snowing", I actually said that and a random guy looked at me weird and was like "and...". Apparently not having seen snow makes me very, very odd.

Yesterday, I was meeting up with some friends of mine. They are awesome, awesome people and well, Buffy fans so what else could I expect?
I met up with someone in a lovely crowded area and then went to Central Park. THERE WERE SQUIRELLS! As a squirell ran past I said that and was then laughed at, apparently squirells are a very blase thing to Americans, but not to Tourists because we got some peanuts and fed them (it made more squirrells come) and lots of people got photos.
I also had some hot apple cider. That was good!

For those keeping count, I have somethings off my list now. Mainly a cab that isn't black. That was the primary reason for going to Central Park. Yes, Central Park is huge! If anyone was curious.

After Central Park, I took a walk down the centre of Capitialism- Fifth Avenue. So many massive, massive stores. Didn't go in, but I had Tiffany's pointed out and then explained that many people buy a croissent and put on little black dresses around Tiffany's.
5th Avenue was also awash with people. Many, many crowds.

I don't remember parts of things, so appologies.
I saw 30 Rock! I have the photo for Matt and Al. It was hard to get a good shot of all of the Rockfeller Centre, but I am going back in a little bit to do the NBC tour (which should be fricken awesome!). I did go to the Observation Deck which was cool. The Statue of Liberty from there is very small, but the view is amazing. Really, it's just amazing. My favourite part was "and over the river is New Jersey", it was kind of like "And a little bit further is Pennyslavnia and on the other side Virginia" (that part remain unspoken).
Really, it's amazing. I'm looking forward to going to the Empire State Building tonight, where the views will be just as good and as night. I do love the night cityscape of NYC.

There are heaps of stalls along the road selling stuff and a lot sell the pictures of the city scape and musical posters and what not. It is really cool. I'm thinking I might get one, or two. But we'll see.

I also did a tour of Radio City Music Hall, or whatever it is called, it is near Rockfeller Centre. It's the home of the Rockettes. That was an impressive tour, specially since when we were there they were doing a show of the Christmas Spectacular and got to see the Toy Soliders part which had been part of every Christmas Spectacular since the '30s, so that was impressive, but yeah, it was just a cool place.

Last night, I equalled the amount of American States I had been to to the amount of Australian states with my trip to New Jersey. I got the train, so that was fun. I bought a coat in a coat factory! It is great and warm. It was even tested for warmness not by me, so it will be good for a real winter. It was funny though with the testing.
I got the tour of New Jersey, that was fun. They have a massive mall.
Dinner was at a Colonial Prison! I was sold as soon as that was said. I got some fun American history. Lots of stuff about the Revolutionary wars. John Andre (who was a traitor and collaborated with Benedict Arnold) was tried and imprisioned in the place. The thing that was pointed out to me was there was a picture of John Andre in the place and the picture was upside down. Apparently, you don't hang pictures of traitors right way up and that picture was the original and has been hanging upside down since 1776. I was impressed with that.
Plus, dinner at a Colonial Prison!

I often wonder what people who listen to iPods on train are listening to, of course I never ask or anything like that, however last night some random did ask me. Very odd!

Today, oh! Today! Today was a marvelous day.
I went to a Broadway show! A BROADWAY SHOW!
I saw Chicago! ON BROADWAY! I know it's coming to Sydney next year, but well, Broadway! I got Rush tickets so cheap.
I was going to go to see Wicked and put my name in the lottery for the Rush tickets and I even made friends with another person by themselves to double our chances. It didn't work so well, so I went to Chicago instead.
Next time, I'll try for Wicked Tickets. Josephine told me that Tuesday and Thursday nights and Wednesday Maintnees are a bit quieter so that hopefully should work out well.
So yeah, I WENT TO BROADWAY! I'm very excited about this clearly.
While waiting to see Wicked I got my video of performing a scene from Wicked, so mark that off my list.

Ok, so here is what I have so far.
American Beer (lots of it, IN A PHARMACY!)
A sign with McKenzie in it
Performing a scene from Wicked
A Sesame St Character
The next act performing at Madison Square Garden... though, that is a stretch.
Can of Cheese (that was the first I got)
A yellow and green scarf
A photo of a cab in NYC that's not yellow

I think that's an impressive effort.
I was also very close to getting a big foot, but it wasn't there. Lissie was guttered.

Ok, kids. I must be off.
Take care and all that jazz!
Elyse

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Your holiday sounds just as exciting as mine has been.

    We can see squirrels from our front window, Nathan still shrieks with excitement in his very manly way when he spots one - it's very nice to see a squirrel though!

    I wonder if we've been written in as the 3 wise men in BOB yet - cardboard cut outs should represent!!

    Take care,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. They cast the three wiseman as actual people with a part. What the hell!
    That's not polite!

    ReplyDelete