Saturday, December 27, 2008

Last Day in NYC

Yes, I am spending my last day in New York at my hostel, it's crazy I know!
But I'm going out tonight and if was anything like last night, I will get home some crazy hour and need to leave straight away to go to the airport.

So today, I am packing my bags and I need to some laundry and that is currently drying so I have internet time! Woo!
Some new people in my room today who are actually social! That's new. They were Portuguese. I am getting worse at picking accents or I just assume not-Aussies are German or French. This will one day get me in trouble.
After I finish packing my bags I need to go in the crazy chaos of Times Square, ok, Rockefeller Centre to get Cameron's things. Man, the hoards! THE HOARDS! Things I do for you Cammy, the things I do.

I believe everyone is dying to know what I have gotten up into the last couple of days?
There was a massive gap, I know, it was a little crazy.
I don't know if I mentioned that I went to a pub called Charley O's, it had a great recession special and the Bartender, Mike, was a lovely guy. Charley O's is also know as my local or my usual, I've been there twice. I was there again last night. For a long time, lovely bar keeps there. Mike and Derryn, both want to be actors and work bars til they get their big break.
See, New York is fun!
An amusing night at said bar. Plus, cheap drinks! Recession specials are awesome!
I also attacked a gingerbread house. I took off the door and was shocked to find there was no opening. Then realised just how insane I thought it would be for there to actually be an opening.

Yesterday, I also walked around Central Park, which is just such a pretty part of the world. It is so easy to forget you are in the middle of a massive city. I saw the John Lennon monument and I got my snow Angel in the park. You'll all be disappointed... and slightly amused. I know I am!
I loved in Strawberry Fields (Forever), which is the John Lennon memorial, there are all these benches that have been adopted by various people have little plaques. I love those little plaques and what people have written. Quite a few have John Lennon lyrics on there. I am pretty sure just John Lennon, not the Beatles.
Eventually I got to the Natuaral History Museum, that was awesome! And what was even better?
Megan, MEGAN, MEGAN! Guess what I found out?
They DO have pelicans in America! On the West Coast! Guess where I am gonna go tomorrow?
The West Coast!
YEAH! Take that! That tradition isn't going down without a fight! I also have a backup plan that is just as awesome.

My barter skills have gotten better, that is fun. I thought I was really bad at it, but I'm not! I've gotten set prices down cheaper. Oh, stalls on the side of the road, you are fun.

I also got to the Met on Christmas Eve, I'm really not into art and I couldn't find the armoury part and it was closing early so that sucked, but I went to the Met so that will add to my cred.
Christmas Eve around Times Square was a little crazy, but I called my family and talked to all of them and one of them needs to tell me who won trivia?
Seriously, Megan or Alex comment and let me know who won! I don't think Mum would know how to comment, so she gets a pass.

Christmas Day was fun, so Amanda is the random friend I made at Wall St, we go drinking at nights. It's fun and I have just lost all my non-drinking cred on this trip and somewhere I think some people are quite proud, anyways, we did the Christmas thing. We went round the corner to the grocery store and got some random things to eat for lunch, mainly appetisers stuff. Onion rings, fish fingers, buffulo wings and I got some cheese in a can and graham crackers. It is the graham crackers that are good, the cheese just contains some kind of addictive thing because I had way too much cheese in a can, but it was good.
There are also no bottle shops open on Christmas day, but thankfully, in America you can get beer at Supermarkets! So, there was beer! Really, really cheap. I got 64 ounces of beer for $7! That is cheap and a lot of beer! It was good.

It didn't seem like Christmas and I did miss the overly competitive game of Trivial Pursuit which is my favourite part of Christmas, but it was a good day. Just never believe that New York is the city that never sleeps because I could not find a pub open at 9.30pm on Christmas night. It was odd.

So tonight, is my last night in New York and it will be held downtown!
Then off to San Franisco.
It should be fun.

Reply to comments:
Hey John! The only Christmas card I have gotten was from Val, so I might ask and see if there is any more, hopefully there is something because yeah, last night!
Some people know the charging bull, others don't. It is one of those things. Who knows how it all works!

I have only 10 more in the photo challenge to go. Who thought I would ever get that far?

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I never thought I'd see the day that Elyse got rid of the non-drinking cred... ah only in America... LOL... JK... :)

    Glad to hear you are having so much fun in USA... enjoy your time on the West Coast and can't hear about your adventures for new years... :D

    See ya :)

    ReplyDelete