Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Boxing Day!

So, it has been awhile since I have written, no rest for the wicked and all that.

Once again when I have actually been on the internet I have been distracted by various things. It is good times.

Just in response to the last post comments: Yes, I have an actually copy of the paper I was quoted in. I got the paper before I knew it was online, I didn't even find it online- that was all Kaylah! Go team Kaylah! (hey man, two shouts in two posts? Crazy).

I tried to mail it home but I found out I am incapable of knowing how the American Postal System works, so in my bag it remains.

What have I done in recent times?

I finally made it downtown! Yes, the song just came into my head. Curse you too much knowledge of music!
Though, I did have to go downtown (downtown- my back up vocals) to get the ferry, I didn't really explore.
I saw Ground Zero, that is just weird because I was at the Fireman Memorial which was kind of eerie or atleast I found it to be but not eerie in the sense it was all quiet because it wasn't there was lots of noise.
For one they have started a new tour in the place of the twin towers called "Freedom Tour", which some dude told me it would be 1776 feet high. 1776 being the year of the American Revolution and independence and what not. So Ground Zero, just one big construction zone.
I actually didn't realise where I was until I heard some guy yelling stuff about knowing the facts of September 11th and all that. I believe that is all that guy does. America is certainly a strange country.

I eventually found myself in the "World Finicial Centre", that wasn't exciting. I was looking for Wall St.
Wall St was surprisingly hard to find, I managed to work it out though, I got a photo of me with the charging bull (I tried to make a link to Wiki for the Charging Bull since no one knows what I'm talking about, but it didn't work so just google it.)
Just near the charging bull, there is the American Sporting Museum which I checked out, it filled me with both awe and weirded me out. They also had a video about how sports is so much more than competition but about communities and bringing people together which had clips of the Yankees winning in '01 and the New Orleans NFL team playing in the SuperDome or whatever it was after Hurricane Katrina, I only mention it because it is the only thing I remember with a lot of clarity because it was a very successful piece of propaganda, it was very good.
Lots of stuff on Baseball and Gridiron which I skipped because I didn't care and a fair bit on the Olympics, which I kind of cared but I realised I just mainly care about the Australian aspect of the Olympics, but it was interesting.

I then walked around and found the NY Stock Exchange all lit up for Christmas, I have pictures! I also got a photo of someone crying at Wall St! It wasn't even me, it was someone who worked on Wall St! I'm very proud.
So much of that list is completed I am up to 40! Yes, 40! I will update the list post after this so check it out!
At the Stock Exchange someone asked me if I was Aussie because of my scarf and thus I got into a random conversation, she was also Aussie from Melbourne and had been travelling for 5 and a half months. Interesting conversation. Since we were both travelling alone we agreed to do something together for Christmas, but yeah, just a random situation but hey I found a friend so go me!

While walking around Times Square, random people try to harass you to get you to do stuff and go to their things. When I say people, I mean legimate businesses, generally, on Christmas Eve I stopped to put my coat on and some guy asked if I wanted to buy marijuana. He actually said marijuana, which is kind of funny to me.
As a result I ended up with tickets to some kind of comedy show, which did look amusing and the guy was very funny, not the marijuana guy that was just a tangent, the legimate business people, the dude was funny he thought that we were Irish and then that Ireland and Australia were close enough to drive too.

There are many, many Irish pubs around Midtown and I have been to alot of them. On another note Recession specials are the best thing ever. I paid $5 for a tall glass just filled with all kinds of alcohol!
You know, my mum reads this quite a lot, she's a big fan, it occured to me today as I was writing her an email that I probably shouldn't discuss my drinking adventures but I really don't care and they aren't very exciting, I am impressed with my alcohol tolerance for someone who doesn't really drink. It's impressing.
So while I have drinking adventures, it doesn't end up with a drunk Elyse, just so you all know.

Time is runnign out and I have only recapped one day!
I really do go into much detail... Oh well!
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean by the Charging Bull, but I suppose I don't count since I'm a native and all. And speaking of the U.S. Postal Service, did you ever get the card I sent you? I addressed it to you c/o the hostel you were staying at, so maybe it burned up in the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow i really feel special about the shsout outs! really i do!!! i feel the love awwwww

    ReplyDelete