Monday, December 22, 2008

My claim to fame!

Today I was quoted in the NY Post. I have a link! Thanks Kaylah for finding the link!
I am quite fond of the quote, finer words have never been spoken!

Today, I was woken up my alarm as opposed to the fire alarm, this was a much better start to the day.

I headed down to Rockefeller Centre and grabbed my stand by ticket for Conan. Amazingly, I was there at 9.45am (they start giving away tickets at 9am) and I got ticket number 74, that's not the amazing part. The amazing part is that on Thursday when I got my ticket at 1pm, I was number 66. What the hell?
Tomorrow is the last show of the week and my last attempt and since when it come to things that involve luck I don't have much so doesn't look likely.

The main part of my day was spent at Liberty Island, home of the Statue of Liberty. It was cold, very, very cold. No snow or rain, it was just cold and the wind was particularly cold. I couldn't get into the Monument itself so I pretty much just the Statue of Liberty up close. I did find out that the Statue is made of copper and the green colour is just an oxiding process. That was new and makes a lot of sense but the green is what I'm used to.
There was some stuff about the symbols of the freedom and what not about what the statue stands for. There were the seven rays of the crown standing for the seven oceans and seven contenients, breaking free from the shackles of tyranny as well as the tablet marking the date of the American Independence.
There is something a little amusing about something breaking free from the shackles of tyranny requires to go through secruity to get to. I have something further to say on the topic but I won't put it down in writing for fear of other consquences.

I went to Ellias Island as well, the most interesting part was about the American immigration as a whole. I didn't find it all that interesting due to my lack of interest and well, a lot of it is about finding relatives that went through there. I don't have any and if I did I still wouldn't care. Will someone repeatidly tell Dad about my complete and utter lack of interest in where my family comes from!

The I went back to the Rockefeller Centre for no reason since I do remain having not seen Conan.

Talking about things I have no luck in, I finally snapped! Today was a very cold day, I once again waited outside for the Wicked ticket lottery. I didn't win. I just bought a ticket. It was a cancelled ticket for tonight's performance, it was just the regular price.
It was awesome!

Ok, I say that, because I did really enjoy it. Wicked is a favourite of mine, I do have a few issues with it and you'll read about them now!

This was the first time I had actually seen the show, but I'm very familar with the Original Cast Recording, as well as the book.
First things first, the book is very different from the musical. If I had to make a call, I'd say I like the book more. The book is really just fantastic.
It might also come down to it, that I'd take tragedy over the happy ending. Which is one of the points of difference.
I really do enjoy the book and in particular the ending, which isn't the same in the musical but it makes sense and both work for the scenarios that come before it.
Though, it is the ending with Elaphba losing everything, including her life that truly makes her beautifully tragic. The ulitmate underdog because she goes out with a fight and doesn't win.
Man, I do love that book.

That is always what comes to mind.
The other thing is that I am familiar with the Original Cast Recording which has Kristin Chenoworth and Idina Menzel, who are absolutely awesome. Really, absolutely awesome and I know that Glinda was written around Kristin Chenoworth and I think something were changed when Idina Menzel was cast and they are some big BIG shoes to fill! I mean metophorically because Kristin Chenoworth is a tiny person!
So knowing all that I was rather impressed with I forget their names, whoever play them now. One was the understudy which makes it harder to remember because her name wasn't everywhere.
Elaphba was played by Chelsea someone and Glinda was Ali someone, Chelsea someone was the U/s. Or was it Katie someone?
Hmm.. I really don't remember.
I was really impressed with Chelsea/Katie/whatever her name is during Defying Gravity, which is my favourite. It just gave me chills, it was spectacular. Of course it is the song before intermission so generally spectacular is the aim.
It was during No Good Deed where I really missed Idina, it was still good (specially coming from a non-singer), it just wasn't the same.

Man, to see the original cast? Now, that would be fricken awesome! BEYOND AWESOME!
I must say Glida is hilarious.
Very hilarious.

Side note: I thought they killed Dr Dillamont. They didn't. In the book they do, it is a big turning point in the book, but yeah, not in the musical. Shame, it makes much more sense with the murdered profosser. Think of what we have learnt from Cluedo!

I'm ridiculously happy that I saw Wicked on Broadway. It was pretty much my must see show and it was worth it.

Good times!
But alas, I must be off for Tomorrow awaits!

This is a note for Mum: I found a squirrel to bring home! It's very exciting!

3 comments:

  1. CONAN! Gosh I hope you get it, Conan is totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey elyse...it's mary. I on;ly put myself as anonymous as i'm not a proper blogger

    loved the NY Post quote...it is soo you

    congrats on seeing wicked...finally! It read like you really enjoyed it

    And just so you know, Australia suck in the cricket, and Patrick Joe is still alive and in once piece

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such an awesome quote Elyse... you have done all Australian's proud there and congrats on getting into the NY Post... :)

    Glad to hear you enjoyed Wicked, as we all know that was one of your major mission for the trip.. hope you have a great Christmas and can't wait to hear more of your great adventures in the USA.... :D

    ReplyDelete